The Photographs My Camera Took and the Ones My Soul Clicked


Sometimes, we set out to photograph the world, only to discover that the real journey was taking place within. There is something beautiful about setting out with a camera.
You leave home with a purpose. Perhaps you want to photograph a waterfall, capture the first light on a mountain, discover the hidden details of a flower or bring home the colours of a city you have never seen before. You pack your lenses, check your batteries, clean your filters and step out into the world with the excitement of a new discovery.
For me, over the last few months, this has meant moving out on photography trips, photography tours and workshops. My primary aim was photography, of course. To learn, to improve, to understand light, composition, perspective and the extraordinary possibilities hidden in ordinary things. But something else was happening.
Something I had not quite understood when I first began travelling.
Photography, I now realise, was only the visible reason for my journeys. The deeper reason was the people I met, the worlds I entered and the parts of myself I discovered along the way.
And perhaps this is one of the most wonderful things about life. We often begin a journey believing we know what we are looking for. Then, somewhere along the way, life quietly reveals that the real discovery was something entirely different.
The world beyond my own circle
For much of life, we move within familiar circles. Family. Friends. Relatives. Acquaintances. People we have known for years. People whose stories we already know, whose opinions we can often predict, whose presence feels comfortable because it belongs to the world we have built around ourselves.
There is nothing wrong with familiarity. It gives us roots, belonging and the comfort of home. But familiarity can also become a boundary. It limits growth and expansion. Evolution stops. 
Without realising it, we begin to experience life through the same people, the same conversations, the same routines and the same ideas. The world becomes smaller, not because the world has shrunk, but because we have stopped entering its unexplored spaces. I need to explore more. I have tasted one turf and the fruits of one garden. I need to break free and step out. Let's find out. 

Then one day, we step out.
We join a photography tour. We attend a workshop. We travel with a group of strangers. We find ourselves standing beside people we have never met, sharing a sunrise, waiting for the light, walking through mist, discussing a lens, laughing over a missed shot, or simply sitting together in silence sipping tea or coffee. 
And something opens.
These people have their own stories, their own struggles, their own ways of seeing. Some are accomplished photographers. Some are beginners. Some have travelled across the country in pursuit of an image. Some find beauty in the smallest details. Some are driven by adventure, others by curiosity and some simply by the joy of being alive. Yet there is something that brings them together. They have stepped out of the ordinary flow of life to pursue something that matters to them.
They have chosen to explore.
And people who choose to explore often bring a different quality of presence into the world.
What is it about creative people?
I have often wondered why certain people inspire us so deeply. Why does a Mozart continue to move people centuries after his music was composed? Why does a Picasso make us look at reality differently? Why does the work of a great artist, thinker or explorer remain alive long after the person is gone?
It is tempting to say that it is their talent.
And certainly, talent matters. Discipline matters. Years of practice matter. Excellence does not arrive by accident. But perhaps there is something more. Perhaps what distinguishes such people is their willingness to look beyond what is already known. They do not merely accept the world as it appears. They ask questions of it. They experiment with it. They challenge the familiar. They follow a curiosity that may lead nowhere and yet they continue.
A musician discovers a new way of arranging sound. A painter sees a possibility in colour that others had overlooked. A photographer finds extraordinary beauty in an ordinary wall, a passing face, a puddle of water or a shaft of sunlight.
They are not simply producing something. Instead by th8work they are revealing something. And in that revelation, they invite the rest of us to see more. I have met people on these photography journeys who may never become famous, whose work may never hang in a major gallery and whose names may never be known beyond their own circles.
Yet,  there is something wonderful about them. Their enthusiasm. Their willingness to learn. Their joy in sharing. Their courage to try. Their ability to appreciate another person’s work without feeling diminished by it.
They remind me that excellence is not always about being the best in the room. Sometimes, excellence is simply the willingness to bring your best self to what you love.
Every lens reveals a different world
One person loves street photography.
Another is fascinated by macro photography, spending hours with a tiny flower or an insect that most of us would walk past without noticing.
Someone else is drawn to landscapes, waiting patiently for the right light to fall upon a mountain.
There are photographers who chase the stars, those who love long exposures, light trails, architecture, wildlife, portraits, birds, textures, colours and countless other forms of expression.

Each person has a different way of seeing.
And that is the beauty of creativity. There is no single correct way to look at the world.
The same landscape can appear entirely different through different eyes. One photographer sees geometry. Another sees emotion. A third sees light. Someone else sees a story.
The camera may be the same. The subject may be the same. The moment may be the same. But the photograph is never quite the same. Because the person behind the camera is different.
And perhaps this is true of life itself.
We are all looking at the same world but we are not all seeing the same thing. Our experiences, our questions, our joys, our sorrows and our willingness to explore shape what becomes visible to us. Photography makes this truth almost impossible to ignore.
The journey from outside to in
When I began travelling, I thought I was moving outward. I was going to places I had never seen, meeting people I had never known, photographing subjects I had never encountered.
From Noida to the hills of Meghalaya. From the misty landscapes of the Northeast to the blue city of Jodhpur. 
From Jodhpur to the Pink City of Jaipur. The journey continues. To explore the in by clicking the out. 
From waterfalls cascading through green forests to flowers, architecture and the changing light of the natural world. Every journey seemed to take me further away from the familiar. But slowly, I began to sense another movement.
A movement from outside to in.
The more I looked at the world, the more I began to notice something about myself.
Why am I drawn to waterfalls?
Why does mist move me so deeply?
Why do I find myself waiting for that one shaft of light through the trees?
Why does an old building, a flower, a quiet road or a face in a crowd sometimes touch something I cannot explain?
What am I really looking for when I look through the viewfinder?
These are not questions about camera settings.
They are questions about the person holding the camera.
And perhaps this is where photography becomes something more than photography.
It becomes a conversation between the world and the one who is looking at it.
The world presents itself. We respond. The camera records an image. But somewhere within us, another image is being formed.
An image of our own preferences, our own sensitivities, our own ways of relating to beauty. The more we look, the more we discover what it is that makes us look.
The waterfall and the photographer
Let me take the example of a waterfall.
There I am, standing before a cascade of white water, surrounded by green mountains, mist, clouds and rain. The scene is magnificent. I set up my tripod. I choose my composition. I decide on the shutter speed. I wait for the right moment. I make the exposure. The camera clicks. And I have a photograph. But what else has happened?
For those few moments, I have been completely absorbed in something outside myself.
The sound of the water. The movement of the mist. The texture of the rocks. The changing light. The sheer force and beauty of nature.
My attention has been drawn away from the familiar concerns of daily life.
I am not thinking about yesterday’s conversations or tomorrow’s responsibilities. I am simply there, looking. And perhaps, in that looking, something within me becomes visible. A love of silence. A longing for freedom. A fascination with movement. A desire to pause. A recognition that beauty does not need to explain itself. The waterfall has not changed because I photographed it.
But I may have changed because I stood before it. That is the extraordinary gift of being in the presence of something beautiful.
It does not merely give us an image to take home. It gives us an experience to carry within us.
The people who become part of the photograph
And then there are the people. The fellow travellers. The photographers. The guides. The workshop participants. The strangers who become companions for a few days.
I have come to realise that they are not just part of the journey. They are part of the photograph.
Not necessarily in the literal sense. Many of them may never appear in the frame. But they become part of the memory attached to it.
A photograph of a waterfall may remind me of the early morning we spent walking through the rain. A photograph of a landscape may bring back a conversation with someone who had travelled from another part of the country.
A photograph of a flower may remind me of the person who first showed me how to see its delicate details. A photograph of Jodhpur may carry the memory of laughter, shared meals, long walks and the joy of discovering a new place with people who were strangers only a few days earlier. This is something I had not anticipated when I began travelling for photography. I thought I would return with images. I did. But I also returned with stories.
And the stories are often more precious than the images.
When the camera turns around
There is a thought that has stayed with me.
While I was photographing a waterfall, a piece of architecture, a flower or the blue city of Jodhpur, I was, in a sense, reversing the camera. I was clicking my own photograph.
Not my physical photograph. Something deeper. Every image I chose was revealing a little about the person behind the lens.
The things that attracted me. The things I found beautiful. The things I was willing to wait for. The things I noticed when others might have walked past. The things I wanted to preserve. And when I return home and look through my photographs, I now see two collections. The pictures my camera clicked.
And the pictures my soul clicked.
Both are wonderful. The camera clicked the waterfall. The soul clicked the stillness. The camera clicked the architecture. The soul clicked the human imagination that built it.
The camera clicked the flower. The soul clicked the delicacy of life. The camera clicked the blue city. The soul clicked the wonder of discovering a world that existed long before I arrived. The camera clicked the visible. The soul clicked the experience.
And perhaps the most beautiful photographs are those in which the two come together.
Why stepping out matters
There is a great deal of talk today about achievement, productivity, success and getting ahead. We are encouraged to build careers, accumulate possessions, maintain relationships, fulfil responsibilities and keep moving. These things have their place.
But there is another dimension of life that is easily forgotten. The simple joy of stepping out to discover something.
Not because it will make us richer. Not because it will make us more successful. Not because we need to prove anything. Simply because we are curious. Simply because there is a world out there that we have not yet seen. Simply because life is too vast to be experienced entirely within the boundaries of our existing routines. When we step out, we encounter new possibilities.
A new place.
A new person.
A new idea.
A new way of looking.
And sometimes, a new version of ourselves.
This is why creative communities can be so enriching. They bring together people who are willing to explore. They create opportunities for learning, sharing and mutual inspiration.
One person’s enthusiasm can awaken another person’s curiosity. One person’s excellence can encourage another person’s effort.
One person’s courage to try something new can give someone else permission to begin.
And in that exchange, everybody grows.
Not necessarily in the conventional sense of becoming more accomplished.
But in becoming more alive.
The ordinary becomes extraordinary
One of the greatest gifts photography has given me is the ability to look at ordinary things with renewed attention.
A leaf.
A puddle.
A wall.
A shadow.
A passing cloud.
A flower.
A road.
A face.
A waterfall.
The world is full of things we have seen a thousand times and never truly looked at.
Photography asks us to pause.
To notice. To consider the light. To see the details. To ask what might be beautiful here.
And once we begin looking in this way, something changes. The ordinary does not necessarily become extraordinary because we have added something to it. It becomes extraordinary because we have finally noticed what was already there. Perhaps this is also a lesson for life. There are people we have known for years whom we have never truly seen. There are relationships we have taken for granted. There are moments we have rushed through. There are ordinary mornings, ordinary meals, ordinary conversations and ordinary acts of kindness that may contain more beauty than we have allowed ourselves to recognise. Photography trains the eye.
But perhaps, more importantly, it trains the heart to pay attention.
The real journey
Looking back at these journeys, I find myself smiling.
I had set out to learn photography.
I wanted to understand light, composition and technique.
I wanted to bring back beautiful photographs.
And I have learned.
But I have also discovered something I could not have planned.
I have discovered the joy of meeting people who are passionate about what they do.
People who step out of their familiar worlds.
People who are willing to learn, experiment, share and grow. People who remind me that life is not merely about fulfilling the roles we have been given.It is also about discovering what else we might become.
I have discovered that the world is much larger than my existing circle. That there are countless ways of seeing. That creativity has no single language. That a journey can begin with a camera and end with a deeper understanding of oneself. And I have discovered that sometimes, the most valuable thing we bring home is not the photograph we took.
It is the person we became while taking it.
The photographs I will keep
One day, perhaps years from now, I will sit with my photographs from these journeys.
I will see the waterfalls of Meghalaya.
The misty mountains. The flowers. The architecture. The blue city of Jodhpur.
The colours, the light, the textures and the compositions. I will see the work of my camera. And then, perhaps, I will remember the people. The conversations. The laughter.
The shared excitement of finding a beautiful frame. The early mornings. The journeys. The small discoveries. The feeling of being part of something beyond my familiar world. And I will realise that every photograph carries two stories. The story of what was in front of the lens. And the story of what was happening within the person behind it. The first story belongs to the world. The second belongs to me. Both are precious. Both are beautiful. And both are a part of the journey. Perhaps that is why I love photography. It allows me to look outward with wonder, while discovering something inward with every frame. It gives me a reason to step out. And every time I step out, I find that life has opened another door.
Another person. Another place. Another possibility. Another photograph. Another discovery. Another glimpse of the extraordinary. And perhaps, just perhaps, another glimpse of myself.
The camera records what I see.
The soul remembers what I discover.
And somewhere between the two, life becomes a work of art.

Wonders of Life
For everyone who has ever stepped out looking for something and returned with something far more beautiful than they expected.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cadet Ashok Pathak: The Quiet Force of Excellence

Sri Lanka: The Isles of Smiles

Learning Warli Art